Hi there. Today I’ll be talking about my experience with the keratin treatment. Is keratin treatment good for hair or not. For a beginner, it gets scary because people have a different take on the chemical treatments. Are they safe or not. What if it leads to hair problems. In this article, I’ll cover up all the following points.
- Pros and cons of keratin treatment.
- Is the keratin treatment safe?
- How much time does it take to complete the keratin treatment process?
- Benefits of keratin treatment.
- How to take care of your hair after getting a keratin treatment.
- Right hair products to use after a keratin treatment.
- What to avoid to not to damage your keratin treatment.
What is keratin treatment?
Have you ever wondered why your hair becomes frizzier overtime? Our hair is made of keratin but it reduces over the years as you start aging and also due to environmental factors and styling. It leads to keratin deficiency and your hair becomes frizzy and lose shine. Keratin is high in amino acids. Amino acids make your hair stronger and highly elastic. If you have over processed hair ( if your hair is prone to chemical treatments, coloring and blow drying) and they are chemically damaged, you can help the overall appearance of your hair by getting a Keratin treatment. Nothing can heal damaged hair, but these professional treatments can significantly help you manage your damaged hair. I was always recommended the Keratin Complex treatment for very damaged hair.
It will smooth the hair’s surface without permanently breaking your hair’s bonds. Thus, your natural hair texture gradually returns as opposed to a relaxer treatment which uses strong chemical compounds to break bonds in the hair resulting in a straighter look.
Is keratin treatment good for hair? Why keratin treatment is better than other chemical treatments:
- It is a unisex treatment: Yes even men can enjoy the benefits of keratin treatment and experiment with different styles.
- Relaxers use harsh chemicals to change the texture and break the bonds in your hair. While Keratin softens and makes your hair manageable without even touching the cortex.
- Cuts down styling and blow drying time: You don’t have to spend an hour to blow dry your hair.
- No more frizz: Keratin treatments help to reduce the frizziness in hair.
- Removes bad chemicals from your hair (hard water, shampoo residues)
- Retains moisture: Your hair retains moisture after getting this treatment and thus looks no duller.
- Gets rid of split ends: Frizzy hair can lead to split ends and your hair won’t grow so keratin treatment can eliminate the frizziness.
- It replenishes the hair’s natural keratin protein.
- It makes hair color look more natural. You can see that in the picture that it makes your hair looks natural and less frizzy.
- No hair breakage: Keratin treatment does not break your hair
- Smooth hair: It gives you smooth hair and looks healthier.
- Different styles: Smooth hair can be styled wavy or straight. Whatever you prefer.
- Glossy shiny hair: Keratin treatment enhances the shine and gloss of the hair.
- Prevents and repairs hair cuticle damage.
- Reduces frizz and unwanted volume for better manageability.
- Can be used over any other chemical service i.e. Color, highlights, relaxers. This was quite surprising for me because I told that person that I want highlights as well and he said you should get it done right now and then on the top you can get the keratin treatment done as it will tame the frizz.
- Suitable for all hair types: Universal treatments that can be used on all hair types.
- Temporary: Unlike relaxers or straighteners, results are temporary so you can change it later.Cost effective: The treatment is cheaper. I got it done in 6k (INR 6000) for my hair length.
- Takes less time to perform: Who likes to sit for an entire day anyway?
- No harsh chemicals involved. There are no harsh chemicals that break your bonds in the keratin treatment process.
- Less heat damage to your hair: A flat iron is used only once unlike those rebonding treatment where it is done twice and intensely.
- Low cost of maintenance: Less maintenance is required for keratin treated hair.
- Keeps your hair volume intact: In my case, it created more volume.
- Enjoy luxurious texture and intense shine.
- Argan oil benefits: Moisturizes your hair with Argan oil.
How does a keratin treatment work?
The hair is shampooed first and then blow dried so that all the moisture is removed. Then they use a treatment on your hair. The hair is strengthened and nourished back to health as it restores your shine providing stronger cuticles. They will leave the treatment for 20 minutes and wrap your hair in a plastic cap. Finally, with the application of heat, a blow dryer and flat iron will lock the treatment in, thus creating a humidity resistant finish to your beautiful looking hair.
Aftercare: Things you need to keep in mind after getting the keratin treatment.
- Do not wash your hair for the next 72 hours.
- Do not use tight bands, hair pins etc. Keep your hair loose.
- Lasting power: The keratin treatment will last for approx 3 months.
- Chose a salon product:
You will be advised to use salon products. These products contain shampoo and a conditioner and are sulfate free shampoos, these shampoos contain hydrolyzed keratin or botanical smoothing agents and they deposit the same keratin that went onto the hair the day you received the treatment each time you shampoo, helping to maintain the locks.
Best salon products for keratin treated hair: Sulphate free.
Shampoo and Conditioner
- Wash less: To extend the results of the keratin treatment, wash your hair on alternate days.
- Dry shampoos: Keratin treatment can sometimes make your hair oily so for that go for a dry shampoo that is keratin-infused.
- At home treatments: Avoid doing this procedure on your own if you are not a professional.
- Use a boar bristle brush: It will spread the oils from the roots to the ends of your hair.
How much does the keratin treatment cost?
- Hair length: It all depends on how long your hair is (Ex. If you have a full head of hair down to your back, you might have to pay more for the maintenance).
- What salon you pick:
The price varies from salon to salon. Some offer discounts as well but according to my experience, I advise you to go for a well-known brand because I have done a huge mistake of getting it done at a cheap price last year and as a result, I faced hair fall and the treatment lasted only for a month and even less than that. I was very much disappointed.
Types of keratin treatment:
- Hair Botox is the latest trend in Keratin Treatments. The products are Formaldehyde-Free, contains Caviar oil, Collagen, Amino acids, and supercharged Nano Keratin molecules.
- Brazilian keratin treatment works best for virgin, permed, colored, previously straightened, bleached and blonde hair.
- Cysteine keratin hair treatment: Cysteine treatments use natural amino acids to straighten your hair. The natural amino acid is considered safer than formaldehyde-based straighteners and is easily absorbed. It provides intense conditioning and improves the texture and quality of your hair.
- Moroccan keratin treatment: The Moroccan formula rebuilds your hair to make it elastic, soft and naturally vibrant.
- Soft keratin treatment: Ideal for those who love their curls and wavy hair. If you simply want to get rid of the frizz without changing your curl pattern and if you want smooth manageable hair but with the same curl definition. A Soft keratin formula is the right one to go for. Best suited for fine to medium textured hair, the treatment coats your hair from root to tip. It is then sealed with a blow dryer and a ceramic flat iron.
Cons of Keratin treatment:
You might have heard about a few cases that come out in the beauty media that it contains harmful chemicals and causes cancer. It is absolutely rubbish. Yes, there were some harsh chemicals present and that use to give the client the desired poker straight hair but a few years later, FDA unapproved it and nowadays, there are many products available in this range that are performing really well. There are no cons but still, there are few things to keep in mind before going for this treatment.
- Keratin treatments can be expensive: Some salons charge way too much for this treatment. If you can afford it, go for it because nothing matters more than your hair. Paying extra bucks won’t be a big deal. Quality is all that matters.
- An inexperienced stylist: He can literally spoil it and this is really important. It all depends on the knowledge and experience of the person. Please do not take any kind of risk. Keratin treatments are best handled by a professional hair artist.
My experience so far with the keratin hair treatment:
My experience so far with the keratin hair treatment has been good. I have gone through two keratin treatments till now. The first keratin treatment was quite average because of my silly mistakes. A friend recommended a hair salon that was good but it was not a brand. Due to their mistake and lack of knowledge, the keratin treatment lasted for only a month. I was shattered. This year when I went to a different salon, the stylist asked me to get a keratin treatment and I was literally pissed while telling my story. He told me that it’s the best treatment for damaged hair. With the right products, you will achieve the desired results. I wasn’t convinced but he was really very sure and I wanted to give it a try. I loved my hair after the treatment. There was no sign of hair fall and it was completely fine.
My final word: Is keratin treatment good for hair!
If you can work on your hair and it’s not difficult to maintain them. Leave them alone and use good shampoos, conditioners and hair masks but if you find it really hard to maintain and tame the frizz, it’s better to go for a keratin treatment that would last for 3 months and you will be able to figure out if it suits you or not as your hair will grow again after 3 months and retain the natural texture.
Well, companies do not say that because there is nothing in this world that is 100% safe. Maybe things can go wrong on the salon’s part. I have gone through it thrice and I haven’t faced any problem so far because I really took care of my hair and that was pretty much simple which included using the keratin shampoo and deep mask and not using the heat tools too frequently.
No until and unless you are suffering from any kind of disease or you have a fever, avoid going for this treatment. At the time of this process, keratin cream releases some fumes/chemicals that can prove to be allergic to you. Avoid it if have a sensitivity or use a pollution mask. There is no sign of hair fall or hair loss. In fact, your hair looks more voluminous and shiny.
If you have allergies, tell everything to your expert who is doing the treatment because it is very important that he should know everything about your health and only then proceed with this treatment.
There are no rigid rules, just the basics. Avoid using the shampoos that contain sulfate and parabens. Use a shampoo that the company recommends because these are specially made for this kind of treatment. After every wash, you will feel so good about your hair. Don’t wash it too much. Wash your hair thrice a week.
Avoid using heat tools. What’s the whole point of getting your hair fixed when you want to eventually destroy them with heat. You can, of course, use the tools but do it very less. Enjoy the natural look for some time.
Avoid oiling your hair for at least a month. After that, you can do it once a week.
Don’t forget to deep condition your hair once a week. It is very important. You can go for the trimming once a month. Don’t forget to take a healthy diet.
I hope this helps. 🙂
More from JUST BEING FAB: